Wellesley College Science Center Master Plan

Wellesley College Science Center Master Plan

300,000 gsf - 2012

The 300,000 gsf Science Center at Wellesley College is comprised of four buildings erected over an 80-year period of time: Sage Hall, built in two phases (the 1927 Botany Wing and the 1931 Zoology Wing); the 1977 Lab Wing, built in 1977; and the E Wing, constructed in 1991. Ellenzweig worked with the College in completing a Master Plan to determine the highest and best use of existing space to accommodate the needs of faculty, students, and staff engaged in or supporting teaching, learning, and research. The study addressed the needs of 11 departments and programs and provided recommendations for renovation and new construction, as well as complete infrastructure upgrades for the existing buildings.

 

An Existing Conditions Assessment examined the exterior envelope; mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems and building code compliance. In parallel with that effort, detailed programming of current and future space needs was conducted with every department and program intended to be housed in the re-envisioned Science Center.

 

The program for the Science Center included Academic Spaces (lecture halls and classrooms, teaching labs, lab support rooms, research labs, and core labs consisting of animal facility and greenhouses); Student Spaces (study spaces, write-up spaces, project rooms, lounge and break-out spaces, food service venue, library); Administrative Space (office space for faculty and staff, and shared support space); and Building Support Space (Science Center office, stock room, machine and electronics shops, receiving functions, custodial functions, waste management).

Wellesley College Science Center Master Plan